Friday, October 23, 2009

Directions...

There are times I have to drive for my business and when I do, it is more often than not that I have no idea where I am going.  I have had to rely on the GoogleMaps application on my phone which is truly my absolute life saver.  There are some issues I have with this application, however.  For some reason any of these "map" programs always seem to think that the person who is reading it has an internal navigation system.  I must be the exception...cuz I don't.  You see anywhere I face is North.  Unless I am by the ocean can I figure out where the N S E W are. 
When I am in a location that I have no idea where I am and I get out the old handy dandy cell phone with the Google Maps application,  I love that I don't actually have to know where I am.  There is an option that says to start, Use My Location.  I love that.  So it actually finds me where I am and then navigates me from there.  Here is the hard part...it never fails to say something like, "Head Northeast on Woodside."  O.K. I can actually be going NE on Woodside and have no idea.  So this is where I end up going around and around in circles as I continue to reset my GoogleMaps until I actually figure out if I am going the right direction or not.  It does take me a little bit longer, but if I was doing it by myself, I would never get out alive...so I guess I can't complain too much.
What about a navigation system you ask?  Well, if they had a navigation system for the"Strong Willed Child", that would work for me.  But to be perfectly honest with you, I can't stand having a women with an english accent in my car telling me what to do the whole trip.  She is very bossy and stresses me out a bit.  And she never stops talking!  I feel better just writing about it.
You see, we strong willed children don't like to be told what to do.  I didn't actually know there was such a thing as a "strong willed child" until I had children.  That's when I was turned on to a book called, "You can't make me, but I can be persuaded."  (Great book for those of you who have strong willed children.)  The problem was, when my husband and I were reading it together...he threw reading it for my kids out the window and learned that his wife was, in fact, a strong willed child.  He was learning how to handle ME!!  And then he would use the "tactics" on me, they seemed like GREAT ideas until I realized what he was doing with me and we would crack up.  Then I just look right up the generations and realize my mom is DEFINITELY a strong willed child.  So the apple obviously doesn't fall far from the tree. :)  I wonder if my mom has an issue with using a navigation system...I'll have to find that out.

No comments:

Post a Comment