Thursday, October 29, 2009




So, according to Kailani from An Island Life, Friday is the day in Hawaii where everyone takes it easy! So I will post a simple question, and you can leave an answer!
What are you or your kids going to be for Halloween?
 My girls are going to be Thing 1 and Thing 2.  I always want them to do something "twin related" and this is the 2nd thing they have done twin related.  Last year one was Hannah Montana and one was Miley Cyrus.  It actually worked out really well because one girl wanted to wear the wig and the other one didn't.  So it didn't matter who was who, just as long as one was dressed up as her and one was dressed down. 
For the Thing 1 and Thing 2 costumes, this was a little challenging.  I thought these outfits were going to be so super simple that I would be able to find them easy.  What I learned is that no one sells costumes of Thing 1 and Thing 2 anymore.  So I started looking for the blue hair wigs early on.  We ended up ordering those from The International Wig Co. online.  The hair is perfect and was very reasonably priced. 
Then I had to find the outfits...this is where the challenge was.  I searched online for outfits specifically for Things 1 & 2 and there weren't any cute.  I then proceeded to all the Halloween stores, party stores, etc.  Mind you, I wasn't just looking for Thing 1 & 2 costumes, I was looking for any red costume that I could turn into Thing 1 & 2.  My last stop was Target.  I just started looking for the separates that I could put together to make the costume.  I found red long sleave shirts, red sweatshirts, but no red sweats however I did find red leggings.  I thought my poor little ladies were going to freeze to death.  I had everything it was going to take to make the costumes and then I decided to look at the costumes in the Halloween section.  By this time, I knew they weren't going to have specific Thing 1 & 2 costumes, but anything close with a red outfit could have a Thing 1 & 2 circle put on the front very easily.  I finally found THE PERFECT outfits.  They were intended to be little devils (which I would never allow my girls to be just for the record) and yet you wouldn't know they were devils if they didn't have all the extras (horns, tail, bow tie, etc.).  They are fuzzy red long sleeve, long leg...kind of reminds me of a red Grinch costume without the puffy stomach!  They were so awesome!  The only challenge was that the stomach to this outfit is sequins.  So no iron on.
I went to Wal-Mart over the next couple of days and picked up some iron on material (about a yard), then I got white fleece (about a half of a yard), I have an awesome picture of Thing 1 & 2 from the movie with Mike Meyers.  I took a large plate, put it face down on the fleece and traced around it with a pencil.  Cut out the fleece and followed what it looked like on the picture to write Thing 1.  The first time I wrote Thing, I realized it was too small.  Thankfully I got enough iron on to have a test piece.  I turned the test piece around and did it again a lot larger...it was perfect.  I then cut out another piece the exact same way and put it over the sample and traced it.  Then did it with Thing 2 as well.  That turned out really well because they match perfect since I traced the same one.  Then I put the same large plate face down on the fleece and cut out two pieces of that.  Took the iron on and the fleece to the ironing board and ironed it on. 
Time to sew it on the outfit.  I had the girls try on the red suits so I knew exactly where to put the Thing 1 circle...then I used white thread and just tacked it on (with them out of the suits, of course). 
They turned out SO ADORABLE!!!  I can't wait to post pictures.  After Saturday, I will put pictures on...so keep an eye out!
Remember Thing 1 and Thing 2 do exactly the opposite of what you say...so Saturday is going to be interesting. 
Happy Haunting!

15 comments:

  1. 4yo will be a doctor, 6yo will be some unknown (to me) character from Star Wars, and 8yo will be a penguin :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so creative. I can't wait to see pictures! My 3 year old is going to be a dragon and my 10 month old will be a spider.

    ReplyDelete
  3. we don't have kids yet... but if my husband and i decide that eventually we'll dress up ...we'll dress up like each other.. then i could be a computer nerd and he could be a creative lightly mental crazy business chick.... i hope i can force him to dress like me..we could even play "this is how your sister looks like" ..oh I'm laughing so hard just imagining... at least i entertain myself ..right??:)

    Aloha!

    *my Aloha Friday's up too:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is funny, My identical twin boys are teens and we always lovingly referred to them as Thing 1 and Thing 2. All of my boys are far too old to go trick or treating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 6 year old picked out a Luigi costume and 2 year old Tigger. Not sure if we will be going out thanks to the events of the last few days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My son is IronMan
    My daughter is a Unicorn
    and my oldest daughter is a Vampire

    Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  7. it's between a cowboy and monkey for my son and cow and flower for my daughter! I better hurry and decide!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have to post pics...how adorable! My oldest, 3, is going to be Belle and my youngest,1, Tinker Bell

    ReplyDelete
  9. GREAT choices! Love Dr. Seuss! Mine are still undecided, so we'll see on Saturday, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My kids are going to be dogs. My daughter is going to be a pink poodle and my son is going to be a black dog with white spots.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My son received a spider man costume, he'll wear this. I have a little crown that I'll put on my daughter and a dress and call her a princess.

    However we'll be staying home and handing out the candy like last year.

    Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My kids are grown so they don't dress up any more.

    ReplyDelete
  13. my twinkies are going as an alligator and a U of Fl cheerleader!!!!

    ReplyDelete